The purpose of this position is to assist the providers at NCH and in the Rawhide Rural Health Clinic with providing safe, quality care to patients and residents of NCH. Additionally, this individual is integral in the flow in patient care from registration through care follow-up.
- Answering telephones
- Updating, filing, and scanning patient medical records
- Coding and filling out insurance forms
- Scheduling appointments
- Arranging for hospital admissions and laboratory services
- Completes purchase orders, maintains inventory, and orders items from material management.
- Makes out maintenance requests and insures items are repaired.
Medical Assistant Functions:
- Taking medical histories
- Explaining treatment procedures to patients
- Preparing patients for examination
- Collecting and preparing laboratory specimens
- Performing basic laboratory tests
- Instructing patients about medication and special diets
- Preparing and administering medications as directed by a provider
- Authorizing prescription refills as directed
- Taking electrocardiograms, as needed
- Removing sutures and changing dressings
- Assist physician and physician assistant in exam rooms
- Escort patients to exam rooms, interviews patients, measure vital signs, including weight, blood pressure, pulse, temperature, and document all information in patient’s chart
- Give instructions to patients as instructed by provider.
- Ensure all related reports, labs and information is filed is available in patients’ medical records prior to their appointment
- Keep exam rooms stocked with adequate medical supplies, maintain instruments, prepare sterilization as required
- Take telephone messages and provide feedback and answers to patient/physician/pharmacy calls
- Prioritize and process messages from patients and front office staff to physicians and physician assistants
- Maintain all logs and required checks (i.e. refrigerator temperatures, emergency medications, expired medications, oxygen, cold sterilization fluid change, etc.)
- Pursues continuing education
- Follows policies and procedures per NCHD
- Should be able to work well under situations of stress.
- Performs lab procedures as certified
In addition to daily tasks, this position must perform a variety of technical and supportive activities in a hospital to assist medical staff in the diagnosis and treatment of patients using phlebotomy and clinic equipment. This individual is responsible for making sure that calibration and routine maintenance on clinic equipment is performed to assure proper functioning including cleaning and sterilizing equipment and maintain appropriate documentation of these activities. Maintain inventory and supplies as necessary in the clinic patient-care areas and MA/CNA Office. Follows written and verbal instructions from providers and direct supervisors. This position must demonstrate the ability to work under limited supervision. This position is also required to assist with maintaining patient records and an effective filing system. Maintain positive relationships with hospital staff, medical staff, patients and visitors. Participate in problem solving as needed. This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time.
Supervisory Duties: None
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
The ability to read, write, and speak English is required. Additionally, the ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical articles. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from patients, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. The ability to work with mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, and ratios and apply them to practical situations. Knowledge of and capability to define problems, collect data, and establish facts is also necessary. Ability to multi-task and communicate information accurately to providers is required. The ability to remain calm and courteous under pressure and display clear and effective communication skills.
Education or Formal Training:
Minimum education: High School Diploma or GED.
Current completion of an MA or course for nursing assistants preferred.
Current CPR and BLS Certification.
At least two years of experience in a clinic health care setting as an MA, or an equivalent combination of experience and training, is required.
Working in a clinic creates a unique work environment of both confidentiality and hospitality. The characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This individual can expect a moderate noise level, such as a business office or light traffic. You must have the ability to hear well enough to function well in this setting (e.g. normal hearing and audiogram including normal noise and speech discrimination).
Under one third of the time you may need to sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl to perform your job duties. One-third to two-thirds of the time you will stand, walk, use your hands, or reach with your hands and arms. Over two thirds of the time it will be necessary to talk or hear. You will frequently bend, reach and push or pull less than 50 pounds. Occasionally you will squat, kneel, climb on a step ladder, twist at the waist, and rotate above the waist. Up to one-third of the time, you must be able to lift up to 50 pounds from a twelve (12) inch height to waist height. The ability to see with clear vision at 20 inches or less, 20 feet or more, strong peripheral vision, three-dimensional vision and ability to judge distances and spatial relationships (depth perception); and the ability to adjust focus is necessary.
Note: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily in the above listed conditions. Please notify your supervisor as soon as possible if you require any type of reasonable accommodation to perform the essential functions. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.